Personal Support Worker (PSW)
Full-Time • Kapuskasing Region
Personal Support Worker (PSW)
Opened in 1967, North Centennial Manor is a 78-bed Long-Term Care establishment, operated by North Centennial Manor Inc. The primary purpose of our Manor has always been, and continues to be, the provision of high-quality care and services to elderly persons, people with disabilities, and those who have a chronic or prolonged illness. North Centennial Manor is primarily the home of the residents; as such, it is operated in a way that we meet the social, cultural, psychological and spiritual needs of each resident. Furthermore, each resident is availed the opportunity to meet the above-mentioned needs, according to his or her ability.
Under the direction of the Director of Resident Care, the Personal Support Worker provides resident – focused personal care, within an interdisciplinary team consistent with the mission and values of North Centennial Manor.
Personal Support Worker Certificate that included 600 hours of combined classroom and practical experience or
A registered nurse or registered practical nurse who, in the opinion of the DOC, has adequate skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a PSW or
Any employee who was working as a PSW on July 1 2011 and who had an equivalent of three years of full-time experience as a PSW or
A student enrolled in an educational program for registered nurses or registered practical nurses and who, in the opinion of the DOC, has adequate skills and knowledge to perform the duties of a PSW or
A person enrolled in a PSW program and who is completing the practical experience requirements of the program, but must work under the supervision of a member of the registered nursing staff and an instructor from the program.
Verbal and written communications in English & ability to communicate in French is an asset
Experience in Long Term Care is an asset
Ability to work well with others in a team approach and adapt to changing work environment and performance requirements.
Physically capable of performing assigned duties within a flexible work schedule inside a 24 hours day, 7 days a week operation.
Current First Aid/CPR certification an asset
Computer skills is an asset
Adherence to all scheduling rules and protocols
1. Performs the responsibilities of the position in accordance with Bill 140 and all other employment laws and regulations associated with providing care in a Long-Term Care facility.
2. Participates in all aspects of personal resident care to ensure the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of each resident/family are met under the direction of registered nursing staff.
3. Utilizes a therapeutic communication by establishing a working relationship with resident/families and coworkers for the purpose of meeting the resident’s needs ensuring respect, dignity, individuality of each resident and staff member.
4. Participates with other team members in formulating, delivering, reporting, recording and maintaining records of the daily resident care needs and personal preferences by:
Attending and gathering pertinent data from report
Following the established plan of care including restorative plans of care and notifying registered staff of any concerns associated with the plan of care
Seeking direction from Registered Staff
Observing residents for any changes and reporting immediately to the Registered Staff
Assessing behaviors and activities of daily living and reporting in oral, digital and/or written form at designated times
Reporting unusual events promptly and directly to Registered Staff
5. Delivers effective and efficient care under the direction of the Registered Staff that promotes resident/family choice and acknowledges the resident strengths, limitations as well as their need for safety and the safety of other resident/family and staff.
6. Participates in all aspects of Infection Prevention and Control by following established practices such as ensuring the labelling of personal care equipment, cleaning and disinfection of resident care equipment and restocking of infection control supplies.
7. Consistent with resident-focused care approach to meet resident needs and demonstrates initiative to:
Assists with serving meals, cueing, feeding, providing nourishment supplements
Assists with transporting and transferring resident as needed
Responds to any resident in need regarding call bells, telephone ringing and assisting any employee in need of help
Under the direction and training of Registered Staff applies treatment creams to residents
8. Ensures daily, the neatness and cleanliness of residents’ rooms, furniture, clothes closets, mobility devices, tub/washrooms, utility rooms, dining rooms.
9. Participates in assessments, care planning and care evaluations and documents accordingly.
10. Serves on committees related to resident care.
11. Participates in continuing education, relevant to LTC, to ensure skills and abilities are maintained and enhanced.
12. Participates in continuous quality improvement of the Home and associated care services by:
Ongoing collection and documentation of CMI data
Using supplies in a cost-efficient manner as per product/policy guidelines
Offers suggestions to registered staff, DOC, administrator regarding resource allocation
Participating in continuing education, relevant to LTC, to ensure skills and abilities are maintained and enhanced.
13. Protects own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety. Follows all guidelines for employees and employers as legislated under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Personal Support Workers (PSW) under CUPE Local 1214
Salary $21.93/hr +13% in lieu of benefits
Nous cherchons à embaucher:
· Préposés(es) aux services de soutien à la personne à temps partiel
Salaire $21.93/hr +13% au lieu de bénéfices
Please visit our website: www.ncmanor.com to learn more about the position
You may also forward your resumes to Emilie Lemieux; firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 705-335-6125 Ext: 221
For more information about North Centennial Manor please visit our website: www.ncmanor.com
Pour de plus amples informations au sujet de notre Foyer, veuillez visiter notre site web www.ncmanor.com
Join our team. Do what you love. Joignez notre équipe. Faites ce que vous aimez.