Activities Lead - Recreational and Social Activities Program
Full-Time • Kapuskasing Region
Activities Lead – Recreational and Social Activities Program
Full Time Position
The Activities Lead assesses, plans, implements and evaluates programs for resident activities which are multi-faceted, meet the resident’s functional needs, and reflect interests of each resident. The overall goal is to maintain or increase the intellectual, physical, spiritual and overall health of residents in the Home. In doing so, the Activities Lead must work in close liaison with the Home Auxiliary, community programs and volunteers.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in recreation and leisure studies, therapeutic recreation, kinesiology or other related field from a community college or university
- Minimum 1 or more years of experience in a health care setting
- Montessori Training, and certified GPA trainer (would be an asset)
- Experience in Long Term Care setting with demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, able to communicate in French and English preferred
- Ability to work with peers in a team approach
- Exceptional time management skills
- Physically able to perform assigned duties
- Ability to perform over 24/7 days a week operation
- Computer literacy preferred
- Experience with RAI-MDS preferred
- Caring committed individual with a strong sense of humor and positive outlook
- Organize an activities program for residents that will maintain interest and progression over a period of time.
- Identify the needs of groups of residents and individual residents and tailor the activities to suit them.
- Encourage involvement from the local community to attend your activities.
- Liaise with other health care team members.
- Recruits, orientates and implements practices to retain volunteers at the Manor.
- Collaborates with therapy and physiotherapy assistant to schedule and implement programs in the most effective manner to enhance resident life.
- Facilitate formation and continuance of Resident Council and Family Council.
- Assist residents to follow treatment plans established by licensed therapists (OT, PT, Nursing, Speech Therapy, Dietician). Communicates these plans to appropriate members of the health care team.
- Participate in the admission, quarterly, significant change and annual review process of all residents.
- Receive and respond to referrals from other members of the Health Care Team related to resident care needs.
- Requisition, stores, track and distributes supplies and equipment, based on a budget estimated annually for the Administrator.
- Submit to the Administrator proposed changes in the current program and budget for the functions under his/her duties and responsibilities.
- Educate staff and residents regarding the use and care of equipment used to provide Activities to the Home such as Montessori program tools, bean bag toss, Wii programs.
- Liaising with nursing staff, volunteers, educational facility, community programs.
- Serves on committees related to resident care.
in continuous quality improvement of the Home and associated care services
- Ongoing collection and documentation of CMI data
- Using supplies in a cost-efficient manner as per product/policy guidelines
- Offers suggestions to registered staff, DOC, administrator regarding resource allocation
- Participating in continuing education, relevant to LTC, to ensure skills and abilities are maintained and enhanced.
- Participates in all aspects of Infection Prevention and Control by following established practices such as ensuring the labelling of personal care equipment, cleaning and disinfection of resident care equipment and restocking of infection control supplies.
- Maintain standards of the department and uphold and abide by the policies and procedures of the Home.
- Assists in creating and maintaining a culture of safety in the Home.
- Orientate students or staff to duties of position as requested.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
**The successful applicant will be required to provide Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check. **
· Competitive compensation, pension and benefits package (unionize position under CUPE).
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to
Linda Chivanga- HR Coordinator
Deadline: Open until position is filled.
Accessibility accommodations available upon request to ensure support throughout the recruitment process, employee onboarding and employment experience. Please do not hesitate to ask should you require any accommodations.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only candidates whose qualifications and experience match the required skills for the position will be selected and contacted for an interview.